Thursday, October 20, 2011

Urgent vs. Important

Count me among those who start a blog and then get too "busy" untiil several months have gone by. Unfortunately for me, this doesn't just apply to blog writing. It applies to my prayer life. It applies to the attention I give to those I love. I don't want to think about what else it might apply to.


Why must the important tasks give way to the urgent ones? We HAVE to get the church newsletter out by Tuesday so my column must be written by noon Monday; ergo praying about the Sunday events MIGHT get done by 3pm. Gads, how often have I listened to Sister S vent about her family issues yet later find myself drifting while my wife talks about her day. Hauled a load of church garbage to the dump because all our cans were full, trash wouldn't be picked up for 3 days, and I own a pickup; hadn't spoken to my son in 2 weeks. Tasks that I guess need to be done, but tasks that make a difference tend to get pushed aside.

I can't blame this on the devil, it can only be me. I love having a list of tasks that need to get done that day, and checking those tasks off makes me feel like I got something done. In truth, the trash will get hauled one way or another. Sister S can find others to unload with as she's got a pretty good life if she'd take a step back and see. But the guy who calls me "Daddy", though he's closer to 30 than 20, needs to be reminded he has a family who loves him. Wait, that's urgent isn't it? Stop writing and go get that done.

Perhaps the important things need the urgency and the urgent things aren't that important. But they sure are annoying, and it feels good to get them out of the way. But not at the expense of the things that are not in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment